Stanton is a city in western Orange County, California, part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The population was 38,186 at the 2010 census, up from 37,403 at the 2000 census. The city was incorporated in 1956 and operates under the Council-Manager form of government, providing a full range of municipal services. Stanton is bounded by Cypress on the west, Anaheim on the north, and east, and Garden Grove on the east and south.
On November 4, 1905, the Los Angeles Interurban Railway started service on the Santa Ana Line. It ran along an almost perfectly straight line between Watts and Santa Ana. Access to transportation allowed the population of the rural area to grow. This area is now Stanton and West Anaheim.
Stanton was named for Philip A. Stanton, a Republican assemblyman for Los Angeles from 1903 to 1909.
In 1908, the privately owned Pacific Electric Railway leased the Santa Ana Line and took over the service, extending its regional light-rail system. By 1928, the impressive thousand-mile system allowed the residents to conveniently travel throughout Los Angeles and Orange Counties.