Stanton is a city in Mercer County, North Dakota, United States. It is the county seat of Mercer County. The population was 366 at the 2010 census. Stanton was founded in 1883 and became the county seat when Mercer County organized in 1884.
Stanton is home to the Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, which houses a Hidatsa earth lodge and three abandoned villages. One of these, Awatixa, is believed to be the former home of Sakakawea.
Stanton is located at 47°19′10″N 101°22′57″W (47.319506, -101.382434).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.47 square miles (1.22 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 366 people, 166 households, and 113 families residing in the city. The population density was 778.7 inhabitants per square mile (300.7/km2). There were 198 housing units at an average density of 421.3 per square mile (162.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.3% White, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.3% of the population.