Sturgeon Bay is a city in and the county seat of Door County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 9,144 at the 2010 census. It is at the natural end of Sturgeon Bay, although the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal was built across the remainder of the Door Peninsula.
The area was originally inhabited by the Ho-Chunk and Menominee. The town is known in the Menominee language as Namāēw-Wīhkit, or "bay of the sturgeon". The Menominee ceded this territory to the United States in the 1836 Treaty of the Cedars following years of negotiations with the Ho-Chunk and the U.S. government over how to accommodate the incoming populations of Oneida, Stockbridge-Munsee, and Brothertown peoples who had been removed from New York. After that, the area was available for white settlement. In 1874, Sturgeon Bay was incorporated as a village. It became a city in 1883. In 1891, Charles Mitchell Whiteside (1854–1924), member of the Wisconsin Assembly, sponsored a bill that merged the community of Sawyer with Sturgeon Bay.