Tobyhanna is an unincorporated community in Coolbaugh Township in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, United States. Despite its name, it is not located in Tobyhanna Township.
"Tobyahanna" is derived from an American Indian word meaning Toby-"Dark Water"Hanna-"a stream whose banks are fringed with alder."
In the late 1800s, the Tobyhanna and Lehigh Lumber Company operated a lumber mill, clothes pin factory and silk mill in what was then called the Village of Tobyhanna Mills. In September 1900, N S Brittain, a prominent resident of Coolbaugh Township and cashier of the East Stroudsburg Bank, purchased virtually the entire village, consisting of over 30 dwellings and 120 acres of the land but none of the former mill equipment. The lumber company sold the land, depleted of its lumber, for USD $10,000. The Monroe Water Supply Company had purchased most of the lumber company's property, over 32,000 acres, in March 1899. The site was transitioning from forest products to the harvesting of ice.
From about 1900 to 1936, Tobyhanna lakes were the site of active ice industries. The ice was cut from the lakes during the winter and stored in large barn-like structures. During the rest of the year, the ice was added to railroad boxcars hauling fresh produce and meats destined for East Coast cities.
In 1912, Tobyhanna had a Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railway station, Tobyhanna station, telegraph, and post office.