Vernon is a town in Windham County, Vermont, in the United States. The population was 2,206 at the 2010 census. Vernon is the site of the now-defunct Vermont Yankee, the state of Vermont's only nuclear power plant, which closed in December 2014.
The town was chartered in 1672 as part of the Massachusetts Grant. In 1736 the area was granted by Massachusetts as part of Fall Town, and in 1753 the area was granted as Hinsdale. When the Connecticut River was established as a boundary, two separate towns were created: Hinsdale, New Hampshire and Hinsdale, Vermont. The people who lived in Hinsdale, Vermont wanted a separate name, and in 1802 the Vermont legislature changed the town's name to Vernon. The name is said to have been chosen after President George Washington's plantation home, Mount Vernon.
Fort Bridgman, in Vernon, was burned in 1755, a casualty of the French and Indian War.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 20.0 square miles (51.8 km2), of which 19.4 square miles (50.2 km2) is land and 0.6 square mile (1.6 km2) (3.15%) is water. Vernon lies on the southern and eastern Vermont borders, north of Franklin County, Massachusetts, and west of Cheshire County, New Hampshire. The town is bordered by Brattleboro to the north, Guilford to the west, Hinsdale, New Hampshire, to the east, and the towns of Bernardston, Massachusetts, and Northfield, Massachusetts to the south. The town hall lies 4 miles (6 km) south of downtown Brattleboro, 14 miles (23 km) north-northeast of Greenfield, 16 miles (26 km) southwest of Keene, and 80 miles (129 km) west-northwest of Boston.