Wabash is a city in Noble Township, Wabash County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. The population was 10,666 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Wabash County.
Wabash is notable as claiming to be the first electrically lighted city in the world, which was inaugurated on March 31, 1880. However, closer inspection of the reference shows only the court house grounds were lighted. It is also home to the historic Eagles Theatre, Paradise Spring Treaty Grounds (1826), the Wabash and Erie Canal, Presbyterian Church (1880), and Disciples of Christ Christian Church (1865).
Wabash is located at 40°48′3″N 85°49′38″W (40.800799, -85.827163). The Wabash river runs through the town, on its way towards Peru, where it splits creating a series of islands, and where the sandbars are quite common on this stretch.
According to the 2010 census, Wabash has a total area of 9.128 square miles (23.64 km2), of which 8.89 square miles (23.02 km2) (or 97.39%) is land and 0.238 square miles (0.62 km2) (or 2.61%) is water.
The town of Wabash was platted in the spring of 1834 by Col. Hugh Hanna and Col. David Burr.