Wapakoneta, (, local pronunciation: [wɒpəkəˈnɛɾə]) is a city in and the county seat of Auglaize County, Ohio, United States, about 56 miles (90 km) north of Dayton and 83 miles (134 km) south of Toledo. The population was 9,867 at the 2010 census. It is the principal city of and is included in the Wapakoneta, Ohio Micropolitan Area, which is included in the Lima–Van Wert–Wapakoneta, OH, Combined Statistical Area.
An old fort east of Wapakoneta was built by the French in 1748, and called Fort Au Glaize. An American fort was never built at the site. It was abandoned after the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794.
Wapakoneta was named the seat of Auglaize County in 1848.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.26 square miles (16.21 km2), of which 6.21 square miles (16.08 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2) is water.
Wapakoneta is located on the Auglaize River and includes portions of Duchouquet, Pusheta, and Moulton Townships.
As of the census of 2010, there were 9,867 people, 4,037 households, and 2,614 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,588.9 inhabitants per square mile (613.5/km2). There were 4,332 housing units at an average density of 697.6 per square mile (269.3/km2).