Watts is a town in northern Adair County, Oklahoma, United States. It was named for John Watts, also known as Young Tassel, a Chickamauga Cherokee chief, who died in 1802. The population was 324 at the 2010 census, an increase of 2.5 percent over the figure of 316 recorded in 2000.
Watts is near the site of Old Fort Wayne, which was founded in 1838. The Kansas City Southern Railway (KCS) built a line through the area in 1895-96, and in 1912, relocated its division point from Stillwell to Watts Switch, one mile north of a community called Ballard. Most of Ballard's merchants moved to the new community of Watts, along with gamblers, land speculators, construction workers and KCS employees.
Frank C. Adair and Frank Howard organized the Guarantee Bank. After statehood, Adair also became the first sheriff of Adair County. Several other businesses sprang up in Watts. Hotels and rooming houses catered to the construction workers and railroad travelers. A lumberyard moved from Ballard, a hardware store and two livery stables were not far behind. At some point in these early days, three doctors opened practices in town.