Williamsburg is a home rule-class city in and the county seat of Whitley County, on the southeastern border of Kentucky, United States. The population was 5,245 at the 2010 census. Developed along the Cumberland River, the city was founded in 1818 and named after William Whitley.
Williamsburg was first known by early European-American settlers as the Spring Ford, after a nearby ford crossing the Cumberland River. On April 19, 1818 the first meeting of the Whitley County Court was held at Samuel Cox's dwelling. This first court appointed local officials as well as constables to work with the county militia. The town was known simply as Whitley Courthouse. In 1882 the city was renamed as Williamsburgh, and the spelling was changed in 1890 to the current Williamsburg.
The town's initial growth was fueled by three freshwater springs in the area. Settlers were attracted to this water source.