Wilton is a city in Burleigh and McLean counties in the State of North Dakota. It is part of the "Bismarck, ND Metropolitan Statistical Area" or "Bismarck-Mandan". The population was 711 at the 2010 census. Founded in 1899, Wilton was named by General W. D. Washburn after the town of Wilton in his native state of Maine.
Wilton was platted in 1899 when the railroad was extended to that point. The city was named after Wilton, Maine, the native home of an early settler. A post office has been in operation at Wilton since 1900. Wilton was originally built up chiefly by Ukrainians.
Wilton is located at 47°9′32″N 100°47′9″W (47.159011, -100.785903).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.64 square miles (1.66 km2), of which, 0.63 square miles (1.63 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 711 people, 317 households, and 188 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,128.6 inhabitants per square mile (435.8/km2). There were 358 housing units at an average density of 568.3 per square mile (219.4/km2).