Wolcott (locally ) is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States. It is primarily residential with a population of 16,680 at the 2010 census. The town was settled in the 1730s by the Connecticut Colony and was known as Farmingbury, but it was renamed Wolcott after being incorporated in 1796.
The early towns of Waterbury and Farmington occupied a great deal of west-central Connecticut in the Naugatuck River Valley and Farmington River Valley at the end of the 17th century. At that time, the borderlands between these two towns were known as Farmingbury, a term derived from the two town names.
People were living within the Farmingbury territory as early as the 1730s, but they possessed no official identity apart from the parent towns of either Waterbury or Farmington. By 1770, the residents of Farmingbury successfully petitioned the Connecticut General Assembly to create the First Ecclesiastical Society of Farmingbury. Having established an independent parish, Farmingbury gained some religious, legal, and financial independence from Waterbury and Farmington. However, the political boundaries of the region remained unchanged for more than two decades afterwards. During that time, the Farmingbury parish was largely self-sufficient, owing to its fairly remote location, but it was still officially considered to be part of Waterbury in the west and Farmington in the east. Thus, the parish society found itself handling several matters that would ordinarily have been municipal duties, such as managing taxes and local education.