Atlantic Beach is a village in New York and one of the wealthiest beach towns in America. It is located off the South Shore of Long Island in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, United States. It is located on Long Beach Barrier Island, one of the outer barrier islands which it shares with Long Beach, East Atlantic Beach, Lido Beach and Point Lookout. To the North, Atlantic Beach is bordered by Reynold's Channel and East Rockaway Inlet. Atlantic Beach is home to the oldest beach club in the United States, the Lawrence Beach Club. The village is a "high-class private setting exclusively for the rich with many mansions and summer homes priced in the millions".
As of the 2010 United States Census, the village population was 1,891.
During the summer months, the population swells by thousands as people flood the beaches and the summer residents move in. Atlantic Beach residents may obtain season passes and access the beaches through nine entrances. It has been described as the "Genuine 'Old New York' paradise".
Cultural and literary references
Film and literature
- In Mario Puzo's 1969 novel and its eponymous film adaptation, The Godfather (1972), Atlantic Beach is home to the character Sonny Corleone. (Sonny's father, Don Vito Corleone, lives in neighboring Long Beach).
- Garry Marshall's film The Flamingo Kid (1984) centers on a fictional beach club (based on the old El Patio beach club) set in Atlantic Beach. The film was shot on location at an actual beach club in Breezy Point on the Rockaway Peninsula.
- A scene from Martin Scorsese's film Goodfellas (1990) was shot at Catalina Beach Club.
- Scenes from Ed Burns' film She's the One (1996) were shot at Sun and Surf Beach Club.
- Scenes from HBO's Boardwalk Empire were filmed in summer 2011.
- Scenes from the NBC series, Law & Order were shot at the Sands Beach Club and the famous Atlantic Beach Surf Shop.
- Scenes from USA Network's series Royal Pains were taped at Catalina Beach Club.
- Multiple scenes from the HBO series The Sopranos were shot in Atlantic Beach as wealthy mobster Little Carmine Lupertazzi lived here.
- Scenes of Blacklist were shot at the Lawrence Beach Club in Atlantic Beach, (season 3, ep 19, Cape May)
- Atlantic Beach was featured in HGTV's House Hunters, (season 169, ep 13, Beauty on the Beach or Castle in the Sky)
The first real interest in the barrier island of Atlantic Beach came in 1922 when Robert Moses, the famous highway builder and public works czar, and Chairman of the State Council of Parks, included Atlantic beach as part of his "State Park Plan for New York".