Bonne Terre ( bon-TAIR) is a city in St. Francois County, Missouri, United States. The population was 6,864 at the 2010 census.
The community was originally settled by the French in 1720 after lead ore was discovered. It was called La Bonne Terre, "the good soil." Bonne Terre was platted as a town in 1880.
Since 2005, Missouri has conducted all of its executions at the Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center in Bonne Terre.
The Bonne Terre Depot, Bonne Terre Mine, and St. Joe Lead Company Administration Building are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bonne Terre was long an active surface lead miners camp. Major lead mining operations from the 1870s included the Desloge Lead Company, St. Joe Lead and Doe Run. The Desloge mines in Bonne Terre were started by Firmin V. Desloge, and above-ground works were bounded approximately by present-day Division Street on the west, Benham Street on the south, Route 67 on the east, and the township line to the north.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.10 square miles (10.62 km2), of which 4.04 square miles (10.46 km2) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,864 people, 1,634 households, and 1,063 families living in the city.