Cambridge is a town in Lamoille County, Vermont, United States. The population was 3,659 at the 2010 U.S. Census. Cambridge includes the villages of Jeffersonville and Cambridge.
Granted on November 7, 1780, Cambridge was chartered on August 13, 1781 to Samuel Robinson, John Fassett, Jr., Jonathan Frost and 64 others. It was first settled in 1783 by John Safford from Piermont, New Hampshire. The intervales proved good but rough, best for grazing livestock. By 1839, the town had about 7,000 sheep. The Lamoille River offered water power for watermills. Industries included one woolen factory, one tannery, one gristmill, plus several sawmills and cabinet shops.
Cambridge and neighboring Johnson were together known as the King's College Tract, being created by Lieutenant Governor Cadwallader Colden by authority of British King George III in 1764. The King's College Tract was reserved for the eventual establishment of a university on the site.