Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Carleton is a village in Monroe County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,345 at the 2010 census. The village is located within Ash Township and is served by Airport Community Schools.
Carleton, which was named after Michigan poet Will Carleton, was platted in 1872 by Daniel Matthews and incorporated into a village in 1911. Primarily an agricultural community with an operating grain elevator, the village also contains several small businesses and restaurants.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.99 square miles (2.56 km2), all land.
Carleton is at a significant railroad crossing and junction. The CSX Saginaw Subdivision crosses CN Flat Rock Subdivision in the village's downtown. The Conrail Lincoln Secondary, which allows CSX a direct connection to Detroit from Toledo, junctions with the CSX Saginaw Subdivision near the northern village boundary.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,562 people, 998 households, and 677 families living in the village. The population density was 2,577.3 per square mile (999.2/km2). There were 1,061 housing units at an average density of 1,067.3 per square mile (413.8/km2).