Carteret is a borough in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 22,844, reflecting an increase of 2,135 (+10.3%) from the 20,709 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,684 (+8.9%) from the 19,025 counted in the 1990 Census.
Carteret was originally created as the borough of Roosevelt on April 11, 1906, from portions of Woodbridge Township, based on the results of a referendum approved on May 22, 1906. The name was changed to Carteret as of November 7, 1922. The borough was also called Carteret during the period from December 19, 1921, to January 16, 1922. The borough was named after Sir George Carteret, one of the first proprietors of New Jersey, and his son Philip Carteret, the first royal governor of New Jersey.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Carteret had a total area of 5.000 square miles (12.950 km2), including 4.418 square miles (11.442 km2) of land and 0.582 square miles (1.509 km2) of water (11.65%).
The Rahway River forms the northern boundary of Carteret, with Linden on the other side of the river in Union County. Joseph Medwick Park is a greenway of parkland along the banks of the river. The Arthur Kill is the eastern boundary (with Staten Island, New York City, New York on the opposite side. Woodbridge Township borders Carteret on all land-based boundaries.
Unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the borough include Canda, Chrome (in the borough's southeast), East Rahway, Lamar, Silvan Beach, South Carteret, West Carteret (the portion west of the New Jersey Turnpike) and West Chrome.
Carteret's Sikh community, variously estimated at 1,000 to 2,500, is the largest concentration of Sikhs in the state. The Gurudwara Singh Sabha Sahib, the borough's first gurudwara, had rented a location in Carteret in 1998 before moving to a permanent location in the nearby Port Reading section of Woodbridge Township in 2005.
The 2010 United States Census counted 22,844 people, 7,591 households, and 5,685.659 families in the borough. The population density was 5,171.1 per square mile (1,996.6/km2).