Union Beach is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 6,245, reflecting a decline of 404 (-6.1%) from the 6,649 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 493 (+8.0%) from the 6,156 counted in the 1990 Census.
Union Beach was formed as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 16, 1925, from portions of Raritan Township (now Hazlet), based on the results of a referendum held on April 16, 1925. A 100-acre (40 ha) farm in the future borough was owned by the Poole family since the days of the American Revolutionary War. Following the development of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, the Poole Farm became the site of the Union Subdivision in 1908, while an area that had been called East Point Beach Estates was renamed Union Beach by developer Charles Carr in 1920.
The borough is part of the Bayshore Regional Strategic Plan, an effort by nine municipalities in northern Monmouth County to reinvigorate the area's economy by emphasizing the traditional downtowns, dense residential neighborhoods, maritime history, and the natural beauty of the Raritan Bayshore coastline.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 1.88 square miles (4.87 km2), including 1.78 square miles (4.61 km2) of land and 0.10 square miles (0.26 km2) of water (5.32%).
Union Beach has undergone extensive restoration of its beach front, which offers a view of the New York City skyline and the Verazanno-Narrows Bridge.
A monument to the victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, constructed of black stone and dedicated in June 2002, is positioned to allow visitors to see past the memorial towards the location where the World Trade Center towers were visible from the borough.
Unincorporated communities, localities and place names within the borough include Lorrillard Beach, Natco, Union Gardens and Van Marters Corner.
The borough borders the Monmouth County municipalities of Hazlet, Keansburg and Keyport.
On October 28, 2012, at 4:00pm, the mayor issued a mandatory evacuation for the borough in preparation for Hurricane Sandy — the second-costliest hurricane in United States history. When the hurricane arrived, approximately one third of the borough's 6,200 residents had left.
By the morning of October 29, of the estimated 2,143 households in the borough, approximately 200 homes and businesses were damaged, 400 took on more than 6 feet (1.8 m) of water, and 62 were "completely missing". An additional 100 that had shifted off foundations and were no longer habitable. The borough's police department borrowed several police cruisers from other municipalities such as Wilmington, NC and Clay County, Florida. Most cars were destroyed when flooding reached police headquarters. Former residents from around the country mobilized and organized relief efforts: sending relief supplies; including advising and assisting public servants in acquiring replacements of lost emergency vehicles.