Cidra (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈsiðɾa]) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the central region of the island, north of Cayey; south of Comerío and Aguas Buenas; east of Aibonito and Barranquitas; and west of Caguas. Cidra is spread over 12 wards and Cidra Pueblo (the downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Cidra is known as "El Pueblo de la Eterna Primavera" ("The Town of Eternal Spring") and "El Pueblo de la Paloma Sabanera".
The region of what is now Cidra belonged to the Taíno region of Cubuy, which covered a portion of the center of Puerto Rico, towards the East coast. The region was led by cacique Caguax.
There are not many records that show that the region was populated after the Spanish colonization. However, it is believed that around 1795, a Catalan named Frujols built a hermitage or shrine around which a small village settled. The settlement became a ward of Cayey, until 1807 when the residents gave the power to Victoriano de Rivera to ask the Governor for permission to found an independent town. In 1809, a landowner known as Bibiana Vázquez donated the land needed for the foundation, and Governor Salvador Meléndez approved the petition.