Clayton is a borough in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 8,179, reflecting an increase of 1,040 (+14.6%) from the 7,139 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 984 (+16.0%) from the 6,155 counted in the 1990 Census.
Jacob Fisler, who purchased much of the area that is now Clayton, acquired 6,500 acres (2,600 ha) of land after the American Revolutionary War. A settlement called Fislertown developed that had grown to 36 families by 1812. The establishment of a glass factory in the 1850s by one of Fisler's descendants led to the growth of Fislertown.
What is now Clayton was originally formed as Clayton Township, which was created on February 5, 1858, from portions of Franklin Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Glassboro Township on March 11, 1878. Clayton was formed as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 9, 1887, from portions of Clayton Township. The remainder of Clayton Township was absorbed by the Borough of Clayton on April 14, 1908, and the township was dissolved.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 7.26 square miles (18.80 km2), including 7.08 square miles (18.32 km2) of land and 0.18 square miles (0.48 km2) of water (2.53%).
Unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the borough include Silver Lake.
Clayton borders Elk Township, Franklin Township, Glassboro and Monroe Township.
The 2010 United States Census counted 8,179 people, 2,916 households, and 2,105 families in the borough. The population density was 1,145.5 inhabitants per square mile (442.3/km2). There were 3,128 housing units at an average density of 438.1 per square mile (169.2/km2). The racial makeup was 74.83% (6,120) White, 18.01% (1,473) Black or African American, 0.37% (30) Native American, 1.80% (147) Asian, 0.02% (2) Pacific Islander, 1.59% (130) from other races, and 3.39% (277) from two or more races.