Blackwood is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Gloucester Township, in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 4,545. It is located 10 miles (16 km) from the city of Camden and 14.6 miles (23.5 km) away from Philadelphia.
Blackwood is the home of the main campus of Camden County College, in addition to other campus locations in Camden and Cherry Hill. Blackwood is also home to Camden County College's radio station WDBK.
Blackwood, originally known as Blackwoodtown, was settled about 1750 by John Blackwood in an area then known as "head of Timber Creek." Blackwood was a fuller who immigrated from Scotland and established mills in Blackwoodtown. The area was a crossroads village along the Black Horse Pike well into the nineteenth century, that served as a local government and transportation center by the 1830s, when Uriah Norcross established a stage coach line between Camden and Woodbury with a stop at a tavern in Blackwoodtown. The arrival of the Camden County Railroad in 1891 led to further development.
Blackwood Lake operated as a summer resort from 1891 until 1932.
The Blackwood Historic District (roughly covering the area along Church Street from East Railroad Avenue to Indiana Avenue, Black Horse Pike, and Central Avenue) and Solomon Wesley United Methodist Church are listed in the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Blackwood had a total area of 1.235 square miles (3.199 km2), including 1.226 square miles (3.176 km2) of land and 0.009 square miles (0.023 km2) of water (0.72%). Bodies of water include Blackwood Lake and Farrows Run stream.
The 2010 United States Census counted 4,545 people, 1,687 households, and 1,209.579 families in the CDP. The population density was 3,706.4 per square mile (1,431.0/km2). There were 1,800 housing units at an average density of 1,467.9 per square mile (566.8/km2).