Colton is a city in Minnehaha County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 687 at the 2010 census.
Colton has the name of J. E. Colton, a railroad official.
The town started with a creamery in 1897, made by J. E. Colton. Other businesses started to form around the creamery, making a Main Street. In 1901, the founder started a newspaper called "The Colton Courier" that stayed in place for years. The three other shareowners were W. O. Colton and Dave Crooks, the founder of Colton's Neighboring town, Crooks. Between 1905 and 1906 a railroad was built through Colton, which used to have passenger service. J. E. Colton was 53 years old when he died in 1910.
The first Colton school was made in 1879 by the town's founder, J. E. Colton, and was a one-room schoolhouse. From 1903 to 1905 a new, larger schoolhouse was built in place of the old one and began to teach high school subjects.