Corrales is a village in Sandoval County, New Mexico, United States. First farmed by Tiquex Pueblo people, chosen due to its proximity to the Rio Grande, as documented by Hispano farmers of Nuevo México in the late 1500s. Despite being a part of the Albuquerque metropolitan area, the village maintains its rural character, while also being surrounded by the cities of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. The population of Corrales was 8,329 at the 2010 Census.
The Rio Grande Bosque on the eastern edge of the village provides refuge for native animals and plants, and ancient Pueblo and Hispano acequias continue to be maintained by the United States Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service and the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District.
The village of Corrales (Spanish for "corrals") is located along the Rio Grande river and is built on the site of two Indian Pueblos settled before AD 500 by the Tiguex Indians, and which were later occupied by Spanish Colonists and explorers who colonized the region around 1540. The pueblo indians who lived in the area abandoned it by the late 1600s when the Spanish settled permanently in New Mexico. The Spanish Colonists subsequently built an adobe church on the site called the Church of San Ysidro in 1868, named after the annual fiesta de San Ysidro in May.
In 1710, a grant of the Alameda lands (including Corrales) was given to Corporal Francisco Montes Vigil, A soldier in the Spanish army. Vigil sold it in 1712 to Captain Juan Gonzáles Bas who was then living in Bernalillo. Gonzáles subsequently sold the land comprising the Village of Corrales in 1718 to Salvador Martinez.