Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Deer Park is a town in Garrett County, Maryland, United States. The population was 399 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Pittsburgh Media Market.
Deer Park is located at 39°25′24″N 79°19′32″W (39.423438, -79.325597).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.00 square mile (2.59 km2), all land.
The town of Deer Park traces its history back to the 1770s, long before Garrett County was established. The town was part of property owned by Lord Baltimore and was originally surveyed on April 14, 1774. Deer Park saw immense growth during the mid to late 1880s, primarily because of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The Deer Park Hotel, constructed in 1872, served as the focal point for visitors who came to the mountaintop to enjoy the area's scenery and cool temperatures during the summer months. Numerous large cottages were subsequently erected and made available to wealthy visitors.
President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland spent the first night of their honeymoon in Deer Park, June 3, 1886.
As automobiles became more readily available in the early 1900s, transportation was no longer limited to railroad service, and Deer Park lost its appeal as a vacation destination. The fortunes of the town took a gradual downturn.