Derby is a city in Sedgwick County, Kansas, United States and the largest suburb of Wichita. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 22,158.
For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America were inhabited by Native Americans. From the 16th century to the 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian War, France secretly ceded New France to Spain, per the Treaty of Fontainebleau.
In 1802, Spain returned most of the land to France. In 1803, most of the land for modern day Kansas was acquired by the United States from France as part of the 828,000 square mile Louisiana Purchase for 2.83 cents per acre.
In 1854, the Kansas Territory was organized, then in 1861 Kansas became the 34th U.S. state. In 1867, Sedgwick County was established within the state of Kansas, which included the land for modern day Derby.
In 1870, settlers John Haufbauer and J.H. Minich built the first houses, smithies, and general stores on the site that would become Derby. In 1871, the community was named El Paso, after El Paso, Illinois, and was laid out and platted.