Dewey is a city in Washington County, Oklahoma, United States. Founded by Jacob A. Bartles in 1899, the town was named for Admiral George Dewey. It was incorporated December 8, 1905. The population was 3,179 at the 2000 census and 3,432 at the 2010 census, an increase of 8 percent.
In 1899, Jacob Bartles moved his grist mill and trading post three miles north from Bartlesville to property he owned along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. He built the Dewey Hotel in the following year. The first newspaper in town, the Dewey Eagle, began publication in 1900, and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad came to Dewey in 1903.
Dewey is located at 36°47′46″N 95°56′10″W (36.796106, -95.936102).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,179 people, 1,298 households, and 869 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,252.2 people per square mile (483.2/km2). There were 1,457 housing units at an average density of 573.9 per square mile (221.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 78.64% White, 2.17% African American, 11.01% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 1.67% from other races, and 6.45% from two or more races.