Donora is a borough in Washington County, Pennsylvania, United States, approximately 20 miles (32 km) south of Pittsburgh on the Monongahela River.
Donora was incorporated in 1901. It got its name from a combination of William Donner and Nora Mellon, banker Andrew W. Mellon's wife. The borough's nickname is "The Home of Champions", mainly because of the large number of famous athletes who have called Donora their home.
Agriculture, coal-mining, steel-making, wire-making, and other industries were conducted in Donora early in its history.
In 1910, 8,174 people lived in Donora; in 1920, 14,131; and in 1940, 13,180. According to U.S. census figures, the population was 5,653 in 2000 and 4,781 in 2010.
Donora is a Rust Belt location which has lost most of its industrial capacity.
It is in the "Mon valley", 5 miles (8.0 km) downriver from Charleroi and 25 miles (40 km) upstream of Braddock.
In 1794, the Whiskey Insurrectionists held several meetings at Fells Church, approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) east of Donora.
A trolley line opened in Donora on December 15, 1901, linking First and McKean, and Fifteenth Street and Meldon.