Dunbar is a city in Kanawha County, West Virginia, along the Kanawha River. The population was 7,907 at the 2010 census.
Dunbar was incorporated on April 19, 1921, by an Act of the West Virginia Legislature. Dunbar is on land that was originally occupied by Native Americans with 11 mounds identified in the residential areas. The land was granted to George Washington for his military service and was named for Mary Dunbar after she inherited the land from Washington, although other sources say it was named for Dunbar Baines, a prominent area banker. Dunbar was a farming community until industries began to evolve in the city with the opening of glass and bottling plants in 1912. The Gravely Plow was invented in Dunbar in 1916. Located at Dunbar is the Dutch Hollow Wine Cellars, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Dunbar is located at 38°21′52″N 81°44′22″W (38.364319, -81.739539). Dunbar is served by Interstate 64 and WV 25.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.81 square miles (7.28 km2), of which, 2.80 square miles (7.25 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
In the past, Dunbar was home to a glass industry, through the Dunbar Glass and Kanawha Glass companies.