Sissonville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kanawha County, West Virginia, along the Pocatalico River. The population was 4,028 at the 2010 census. Sissonville is located less than 14 miles north of Charleston (state capital).
Sissonville is located in Kanawha County, West Virginia. It was named after an early settler by the name of John Sisson. History shows the first known settler north of Fort Lee (now known as Charleston) was a man named Johnson who built a log cabin near the mouth of Tuppers Creek in 1802 and later built a grist mill in the area. The community was named for John Sisson, who owned the original townsite.
The Sissonville area also includes the areas known as Cicerone, Pocatalico, Millertown, and Guthrie. There are numerous other smaller communities within these including Kanawha Two Mile, Derrick's Creek, Second Creek, Allen's Fork, and Kelly's Creek. The community runs from the city limits of Charleston on the southern end, North to the Jackson County line, East to Roane County, and West to Putnam County. The area covered by the Sissonville Volunteer Fire Department is just over 125 square miles.