Edinburgh is a town in Bartholomew, Johnson, and Shelby counties in the U.S. state of Indiana. The population was 4,480 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Columbus, Indiana metropolitan statistical area. Edinburgh was named in honor of Edinburgh, Scotland and for many years was pronounced the same way.
Edinburgh is the home of Camp Atterbury, a National Guard training facility. The Big Blue River and Sugar Creek join to form the Driftwood River 1 mi (1.6 km) west of Edinburgh.
Edinburgh was laid out in about 1822. A founder of the town being a native of Scotland may have caused the name Edinburgh to be selected. The Edinburgh post office has been in operation since 1823.
Edinburgh Commercial Historic District, South Walnut Street Historic District, and Toner Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Severe thunderstorms formed rapidly across Central Indiana on the evening of June 3, 2008. These storms began to rotate and produced multiple tornadoes.