Felton is a town in Kent County, Delaware, United States. It is part of the Dover, Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,298 at the 2010 census.
Established in 1856 as a whistle stop along the Delaware Railroad, Felton was named after Samuel M. Felton Sr., then-president of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad. As president, he was responsible for developing the Railroad in Delaware's rural areas, and by extension, the town's existence. Felton was incorporated on February 2, 1861, and passenger rail service would continue to the town until the early 1950s.
The Coombe Historic District, Thomas B. Coursey House, Felton Historic District, Felton Railroad Station, and Hughes Early Man Sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Felton is located at 39°00′30″N 75°34′41″W (39.0084464, -75.5779807).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2), all of it land.
At the 2000 census there were 784 people in 297 households, including 217 families, in the town. The population density was 1,268.1 people per square mile (488.2/km²). There were 312 housing units at an average density of 504.6 per square mile (194.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 82.53% White, 11.61% African American, 1.02% Native American, 1.28% Asian, 0.89% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.17%.
Of the 297 households 42.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.5% were married couples living together, 18.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.9% were non-families.