Friendsville is a city in Blount County, Tennessee, United States. Its population was 890 at the 2000 census and 913 at the 2010 census. It is included in the Knoxville, Tennessee Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Friendsville was founded by Quakers from New Garden, North Carolina, who settled in the area in the 1790s. The town is still home to a Friends Meetinghouse. In 1854, a group of British Quaker elders stayed here whilst promoting the abolitionist cause with American leaders. During this visit, abolitionist leader William Forster died and was buried here.
In the 19th century, the Quakers wielded considerable influence in Blount County, and were partially responsible for the abolitionist movements arising in the county in the years leading up to the Civil War. Along with nearby Greenback and possibly Cades Cove, Friendsville provided a stop on the Underground Railroad. A cave (since filled in) near the Friends Meetinghouse was stocked with provisions by Quakers such as William J. Hackney to provide a stopover for fugitive slaves and later soldiers en route to join the Union army.
K-5 education in Friendsville is provided by Friendsville Elementary School (part of Blount County Schools), which was once Friendsville High School. Boat launch facilities along Fort Loudoun Lake can be found at Gallahar Creek and Whispering Cove.