Fulton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place located in southern Howard County, Maryland, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 2,049.
The land was first surveyed by Thomas Browne, known as the "Patuxent Ranger", in 1700. In the mid 1700s Richard Snowden, the Quaker grandson of one of Maryland's first iron ore producers, purchased tracts of land up the Patuxent River valley. Fulton was then known as Queen Caroline Parish. In 1803 Rezin Hammond settled on a parcel of the land, and by 1805 Fulton was known as Hammond Directions and Snowden Second Addition. In 1855 German immigrants settled in the area.
By 1871, St Paul's Lutheran was founded to serve the German farming community and was expanded in 1933. By 1878 Fulton opened school house #3, a one-room school house for white children a half mile west of town that operated until 1939. The area was referred to as "Water's Store", for Richard Waters' blacksmith operation and post office which opened on December 29, 1874.
The name was changed to "Fulton", after the popular Baltimore Sun editor Charles C. Fulton on 28 March 1882. Albert W. Bradey purchased the Fulton corner stores of his father and Smallwood, operating it until his death in a house fire at the age of 90.
In 1839, Heinrich Iager purchased 108 acres (44 ha) of farmland expanding to 185 acres (75 ha)s forming Maple Lawn Farms.