Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Colesville is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States.
As an unincorporated area, Colesville's boundaries are not officially defined. Many residents consider the town to be one of the many neighborhoods of Silver Spring. Colesville is recognized by USPS as an acceptable city name in two northeastern Montgomery County ZIP codes, with Silver Spring being the preferred city name. It is also recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a census-designated place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place, located at 39°4′47″N 77°0′12″W (39.079695, −77.003263).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the place has a total area of 9.2 square miles (24 km2), all land.
Colesville's generally accepted boundaries extend between the Northwest and Paint Branches of the Anacostia River. Its northern and southern boundaries are not as well-defined, but are usually assumed to run from Springbrook High School in the south to Cloverly in the north.
The first land was purchased in Colesville from the Lords Baltimore in 1714, when Archibald Edmonston patented "Easy Purchase", a 900-acre (3.6 km2) tract that extended from Meadowood south to near present-day Route 29. In 1715, "Easy Purchase" was bought by James Beall, Sr., who that year also patented "Drumeldry", a 225-acre (0.91 km2) tract from the Northwest Branch across Notley Road to Shannon Drive. In 1718, his nephew William Beall patented "Wolf's Den", a 317-acre (1.28 km2) tract that straddled today's Bonifant Road and ran from Notley Road to Pebblestone Drive, and then southwest across the Northwest Branch.