Greenville is a city in and the county seat of Darke County, Ohio, United States, located in southwestern Ohio about 33 miles northwest of Dayton. The population was 13,227 at the 2010 census.
Greenville is the historic location of Fort Greene Ville, which was built in November 1793 by General Anthony Wayne's Legion of the United States during the Northwest Indian War. Named for Revolutionary War hero Nathaniel Greene, its defenses covered about 55 acres (220,000 m2), which made it the largest wooden fort in North America. The fort was a training ground and base of operations for the ~3000 soldiers of the Legion and Kentucky Milia prior to their march northward in Aug. 1794 to the Battle of Fallen Timbers. A year after the battle, the Treaty of Greenville was signed at the fort on August 3, 1795, bringing an end to the Indian wars in the area and opening the Northwest Territory for settlement. Fort Greenville was abandoned in 1796, and partly burned later that year to retrieve nails used in its construction. Some of its logs were carried away to be reused in the newly emergent settlement of Dayton to the south. In the War of 1812, what remained was refitted, and used as a supply depot and staging area. The earliest European settlers were in 1807; the city of Greenville was officially founded in August 1808.