New Madison is a village in Darke County, Ohio, United States. The population was 892 at the 2010 census.
New Madison was platted by Zadock Smith in 1817 for purposes of land speculation, but his efforts failed; he was unable to sell any of the lots. Two years later, he sold the land to Ernestus Putnam, who replatted the village and began to sell lots in 1831; unlike Smith, Putnam saw the establishment of a successful community. The village was named after Madison, Indiana by Ernestus Putman. Ernestus Putman previously lived in Madison,In.and he named it New Madison after he bought the village. The first church in the community was a Presbyterian congregation. While the community's first school was founded in its early years, the building was replaced by a substantial two-story structure in 1870; it in turn was replaced by a larger built in 1897.
New Madison is located at 39°58′7″N 84°42′30″W (39.968569, -84.708239).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.41 square miles (1.06 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 892 people, 352 households, and 252 families living in the village. The population density was 2,175.6 inhabitants per square mile (840.0/km2). There were 381 housing units at an average density of 929.3 per square mile (358.8/km2).