High Springs is a city in Alachua County, Florida, United States. The population was 5,350 at the 2010 census.
The present-day area of High Springs was first settled on a permanent basis by English-speaking people during the late 1830s. One of the earliest settlements in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east of present-day High Springs. Settlers who were living there during the 1840s included Fernando Underwood and Marshal Blanton. A discernible town began to develop in the early 1880s after the Savannah, Florida & Western Railway was constructed and several phosphate mines were established. In 1888 the local post office changed its name from Orion to High Springs, and the town was officially incorporated in 1892. The town had a population over 1,500 at the end of the 1890s and was the second largest by population in the county.
High Springs is located at 28°49′N 82°36′W (29.8245, -82.5953).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 22.0 square miles (57.1 km2), of which 22.0 square miles (56.9 km2) is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2) (0.36%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,863 people, 1,539 households, and 1,063 families residing in the city. The population density was 209.3 inhabitants per square mile (80.8/km²). There were 1,668 housing units at an average density of 90.4 per square mile (34.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 76.42% White, 21.18% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.31% from other races, and 1.37% from two or more races.