Inverness is a suburban village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 7,399 at the 2010 census.
Inverness is located at 42°6′47″N 88°5′54″W (42.113275, -88.098433).
According to the 2010 census, Inverness has a total area of 6.703 square miles (17.36 km2), of which 6.54 square miles (16.94 km2) (or 97.57%) is land and 0.163 square miles (0.42 km2) (or 2.43%) is water.
The village borders are defined by Barrington Road to the west, Roselle Road to the east, Algonquin Road to the south, and Dundee Road to the north.
The Inverness area was first settled in 1836 by George Ela and became known as Deer Grove. After surveying the township area, in 1840 the US government offered land in the area for $1.25 per acre. By 1854, rail service was established to Deer Grove, and in 1859 the line was incorporated into the Chicago and North Western Railway system. The Inverness area was now easily accessible to Chicago. The frontier had been opened.
In 1926, Mr. Arthur T. McIntosh, one of Chicago's leading land developers, bought the Temple farm and house, which was originally built by Ralph Atkinson. It was the first of eleven parcels to be acquired by him.