Linden is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Linden is surrounded by Fenton Township, but the two are administered autonomously. The population was 3,991 at the 2010 United States Census, an increase of 39.5% from 2000.
Linden was settled in late 1835 by two brothers, Richard and Perry Lamb. Perry Lamb provided housing for travelers. The village of Linden subdivision was platted by Consider Warner and Eben Harris in 1840. Warner and Harris also built the Springer's Hotel hostelry that same year.
On September 23, 1851, the Linden post office was opened. North Linden village was platted in the northwest corner of section 20 along the railroad on January 31, 1857. Linden was incorporated as a village in 1871 by an act of the Legislature.
In 1974, the community began to hold its Summer Happening festival. In 1988, Linden changed its incorporated status from village to city.
In 2000, Linden, along with Fenton City and Township, passed a millage to turn the Tri-County Parks & Recreation share department into a parks and recreation metropolitan district, while Argentine Township and Tyrone Townships defeated the millage.