Swartz Creek is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 5,758 at the 2010 census. The city is a suburb of Flint and has incorporated land formerly within Flint Charter Township, Gaines Township, and Clayton Township, but is administratively autonomous from all three.
Native Americans traveled the trail that paralleled the Swartz Creek to reach the maple trees, on what would later be the Crapo Farm, to fish, gather fruit, and hunt. This trail terminated in the Lansing area.
The Miller Settlement, and future core Swartz Creek community, was founded in June 1836 when it was first settled by Adam Miller, a German, and his family of eleven children in then Flint Township at its original size of 9 township survey areas. On March 11, 1837, just weeks after Michigan became a state, the southern area that would make up the community was placed into Mundy Township. Flushing Township was formed on March 6, 1838, split off from Flint Township, and included the northern part of the settlement. Two settlers were buried on the Miller property before that acre was deeded to Flushing township by Adam Miller.
In 1848, Miller Road was designed as a state road. in 1842, a post office was set up in the community called Swartz Creek after the stream. Soon, the community assumed that name.