Linthicum is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. The population was 10,324 at the 2010 census. It is located directly north of Baltimore–Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI).
Designated as "Linthicum Heights" and zip code 21090 by the US Postal Service, Linthicum has been traditionally divided into two distinct communities each with its own community association and identity. These two communities, split by the Baltimore Beltway in 1957, are Linthicum and North Linthicum (or, alternatively, Linthicum-Shipley and North Linthicum.) Both communities developed as a result of their locations adjacent to the Baltimore and Annapolis Short Line railroad which brought commuters to the original truck farming community.
As a developed community, Linthicum began with the 1908 founding of the "Linthicum Heights Company", though a "Linthicum" or "Linthicum's" station on the 1887 Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line railroad existed at least as early as 1889. The community's name was from the area's primary land-owning family since an 1801 purchase by Abner Linthicum.
The Linthicum Heights Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Linthicum is located at 39°12′14″N 76°39′38″W (39.203876, −76.660506) in northern Anne Arundel County. It extends from the Patapsco River in the north (the Baltimore County line) to Maryland Route 170 (Aviation Boulevard) in the south, and from Interstate 195 in the west to Maryland Route 648 (Baltimore Annapolis Boulevard) in the east. It is bordered by the CDPs of Baltimore Highlands to the north (in Baltimore County), Brooklyn Park to the east, and Ferndale to the southeast, and by the Baltimore–Washington International Airport to the south.
The BWI Business District West Nursery area is located in Linthicum along the West Nursery Road corridor.