Severna Park is a census-designated place (CDP) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. Severna Park is part of the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area, and is located approximately 8 miles (13 km) north of Annapolis, 17 miles (27 km) south of Baltimore and 39 miles (63 km) east of Washington. Severna Park's population was 37,634 at the 2010 census.
The name Severna Park is rumored to originate from a 1906 contest held by Oscar Hatton while the modern community was first becoming established. The winner would receive a portion of land but controversy arose because the winner was an African-American woman, who was instead rewarded $500. However, extensive research by local historian Nelson Molter found no corroborative evidence for this story, suggesting the naming contest is merely a local myth.
Robinson House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. Severna Park was originally named "Boone," and was a stop along the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad, which was converted to the B&A Rail Trail in 1990. Severna Park is also home to the Severn School, a private high school established in 1914 by Rolland Teel as a feeder school to the United States Naval Academy, as well as several other old homes and buildings.
In many Slavic languages, Severna means "northern".
Severna Park is located at 39°4′56″N 76°33′56″W (39.082109, −76.565656), between the eastern shore of the Severn River and northwestern shore of the Magothy River, approximately 17 miles (27 km) south of Baltimore and 39 miles (63 km) east of Washington, D.C. It is bordered to the north by Pasadena, to the east (across the Magothy River) by Lake Shore, to the southeast by Arnold, to the southwest (across the Severn River) by Herald Harbor and Arden on the Severn, and to the west by Gambrills and Millersville.
Severna Park is split by Ritchie Highway (Maryland Route 2), which runs between Baltimore and Annapolis and directly through Severna Park, serving as one of the main thoroughfares in the area.