Mandan is a city on the eastern border of Morton County and is the seventh-largest city in North Dakota. Founded in 1879 on the west side of the upper Missouri River, it was designated in 1881 as the county seat of Morton County. The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the 2019 population at 22,752. Located across the Missouri River from the state capital of Bismarck, Mandan is a core city of the Bismarck-Mandan Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The city was named after the historic indigenous Mandan of the area. The Mandan are now part of the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, spanning the upper Missouri River in the western part of the state. Their people also live in cities of the state and other areas. In the 2010 census, nearly five percent of the people in the city of Mandan identified as Native American.
The Mandan Indian village located at the southern base of Crying Hill prominent in east Mandan today was recorded as early as 1738 and referred to as the village of Good Fur Robe, named after their chief. This settlement would also be recorded as the village of the Crying Hill as well the village of the Two Face Stone, after their corresponding geographic features. The village was one of six Mandan villages on the west river bank between today's Knife River and Cannonball River.
The credit for the city's incorporated name is a point of debate.