Martin is a city in Weakley County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 11,473 according to the 2010 census. The city is the home of the University of Tennessee at Martin.
Martin is named for Captain William Martin. William Martin was born in Halifax County, Virginia in 1806, and moved to Weakley County, Tennessee with his wife Sarah in 1832. Captain Martin prospered through tobacco farming and began working to establish a railroad connection in what would later become Martin in 1852. It was not until after his death in 1859 that his sons, led primarily by George W. Martin, persuaded the Mississippi Central Railroad to locate a connection with the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad in what would become Martin, Tennessee in 1872.
Martin is located at 36°20′31″N 88°51′6″W (36.341836, -88.851647).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.4 square miles (32 km2), of which 12.4 square miles (32 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.32%) is water.
At the 2000 census there were 10,515 people, 3,773 households, and 2,029 families living in the city. The population density was 848.9 people per square mile (327.7/km²). There were 4,106 housing units at an average density of 331.5 per square mile (128.0/km²).