Mitchell is a city in Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Scottsbluff, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,702 at the 2010 census.
Mitchell was established in 1900, when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad was extended westward to that point. It was named after the historic Fort Mitchell nearby, which had been named after General Robert B. Mitchell, a brigadier general in the Union Army during the American Civil War. Mitchell was incorporated as a city in 1902.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.67 square miles (1.74 km2), all land. Mitchell is northwest of Scottsbluff.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,702 people, 696 households, and 441 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,540.3 inhabitants per square mile (980.8/km2). There were 790 housing units at an average density of 1,179.1 per square mile (455.3/km2).