Munford is a city in Tipton County, Tennessee. The population was 5,927 at the 2010 census, when it was listed as a town.
Beginning as a small village which grew around the Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church in the early 1850s, it was officially named "Mt. Zion" after the opening of a post office there in 1856. This office closed in 1874, and in 1886 when Mt. Zion applied to the United States Post Office Department to have it reopened, the application was approved on the condition that it do so with a new name, to avoid confusion with Mt. Zion, Pennsylvania. At that time Pennsylvania was commonly abbreviated as "Penn" and Tennessee was commonly abbreviated "Tenn." The newly appointed Post Master G. B. Sale asked his daughter Lola to choose a name, and they agreed to name it after Colonel Richard Henry Munford (1807–1884) of Covington, Tennessee. The town was officially incorporated as "Munford" by an act of the Tennessee General Assembly in 1905, and Sterling Hicks Bass, Sr.