North Miami Beach (commonly referred to as NMB) is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. Originally named Fulford-by-the-Sea in 1926 after Captain William H. Fulford of the United States Coast Guard, the city was renamed North Miami Beach in 1931. The population was 41,523 at the 2010 census.
The hurricane of 1926 essentially ended the South Florida real estate boom, and in an effort to alleviate their losses and the damage to the city, local residents came together as the Town of Fulford. In 1927, the city was incorporated as the City of Fulford.
North Miami Beach is located at 25°55′49″N 80°10′1″W. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.3 square miles (14 km2). 5.0 square miles (13 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (6.43%) is water.
Although the North Miami Beach boundaries once stretched to the Atlantic Ocean, this city on the Intracoastal Waterway no longer has any beaches within its city limits, although they are a short distance away across the inlet.
As of 2010, there were 16,402 households, out of which 12.1% were vacant. As of 2000, 37.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them.