Orleans is a village in the northwestern corner of Barton, Orleans County, Vermont, United States. With a population of 818 at the 2010 census, it is the largest village in the county.
Roger Enos purchased land in 1820 in the area from Ira Allen. He had been given a land grant as a veteran in lieu of pay after the Revolutionary War; he may also have purchased this parcel from Herman Allen. It was named "Barton Landing"; this was the first place where craft could be safely loaded for transportation down the Barton River to Lake Memphremagog. It was at the confluence of the Willoughby and Barton rivers, providing sufficient water for flotation.
Enos built the first building, a sawmill, at the confluence. Jesse Cook bought this building in 1830 to convert to a textile mill for weaving cloth, part of the northern economy using cotton from the South. In 1839 John Little converted it into a grain mill.
Lovinas Chandler bought this building in 1869 to use as a lumber mill. His son, who founded the E. L. Chandler Company, expanded the business here and in Barton Village in the 1890s. About the turn of the 20th century, Parker Young Company bought this complex of buildings.