Parkville is a city in Platte County, Missouri, United States and is a part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The population was 5,554 at the 2010 census. Parkville is known for its antique shops, art galleries, and historic downtown. The city is home to Park University, English Landing Park and National Golf Club of Kansas City (this includes the neighborhood - The National) and has a private reservoir with houses around it named Riss Lake.
Parkville was platted in 1844. The community has the name of George S. Park, a first settler. A post office called Parkville was established in 1841, and remained in operation until 1962.
The Benjamin Banneker School, Mackay Building, Charles Smith Scott Memorial Observatory, Waddell "A" Truss Bridge, and Washington Chapel C.M.E. Church are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Parkville is located at 39°11′44″N 94°41′1″W (39.195602, -94.683636). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 15.41 square miles (39.91 km2), of which 14.79 square miles (38.31 km2) is land and 0.62 square miles (1.61 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,554 people, 1,974 households, and 1,469 families living in the city. The population density was 375.5 inhabitants per square mile (145.0/km2). There were 2,126 housing units at an average density of 143.7 per square mile (55.5/km2).