Patillas (Spanish pronunciation: [paˈtiʎas]) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the southeastern coast, south of San Lorenzo; west of Yabucoa and Maunabo; and east of Guayama and Arroyo. It is spread over 15 wards and Patillas Pueblo (the downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the Guayama Metropolitan Statistical Area.
As early as 1760 there were people already settled in Patillas. It was not, however, a permanent settlement until it was officially founded in 1811. In 1841 a fire in Patillas killed a great many people.
Patillas is located along the southeastern coast of the island of Puerto Rico. There was an establishment of a sugar cane mill which took advantage of the agricultural potential the valley provided. As this establishment provided a good source of income for the neighbors it also was the main reason for the town's foundation in 1811. Doña Adelina Cintrón, owner of "La Finca Patillas", donated almost 8 acres (32,000 m2) of land for the foundation. Most of the neighbors then relocated towards the west side of the proposed site called Cacao Bajo.