North Providence is a town in Providence County, Rhode Island, United States. The population was 32,078 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.8 square miles (15 km2), of which, 5.7 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.07%) is water.
Within the town, there are several villages and neighborhoods, such as Allendale, Centredale, Fruit Hill, Greystone, Louisquisset, Lymansville, Marieville, Woodville, and Geneva.
North Providence is bordered by Providence to the south, Johnston to the west, Smithfield and Lincoln to the north, and Pawtucket to the east. Has a total of 7 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and a highschool.
Settled shortly after the arrival of Roger Williams in 1636, North Providence was incorporated as a town in 1765. The originally incorporated town area included sections of the present-day cities of Providence and Pawtucket. Early colonial settlers in North Providence built stone-ender houses, such as the Joseph Smith House (1705) at 109 Smithfield Road, which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1793, the first fully mechanized cotton-spinning mill in the United States, Slater Mill, was founded by Samuel Slater on the banks of the Blackstone River in North Providence.